FEC approves 5G network, says it has no relationship with COVID-19
Abuja, Sept. 8, 2021, The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the policy on deployment of Fifth Generation network, popularly known as 5G, saying it has no relationship with COVID-19 as earlier alleged.
Prof. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Prof. announced this to State House Correspondents at the end of the council meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday in Abuja.
The minister said the 5G network will help to open up opportunities in the economy, education and health sectors, adding that security agencies would benefit greatly from the network.
He explained that he presented a memo on the National Policy on 5th Generation network for Nigeria’s digital economy before the Federal Executive Council which was approved after deliberations.
“That policy has been approved by the Federal Executive Council today.
“Furthermore, the policy addresses the benefits to be attained through the deployment of 5G in Nigeria and any part of the world which includes lowering latency, larger capacity and higher data rate.
“In simple language, we can say it will open many opportunities economically, educationally and even in the health sector.
“It will also support our security institutions, particularly in areas where they need high quality services,” the minister said.
He said the network would had been deployed since 2020 but for outcry from the Nigerian public against it which made government to stay action to give room for more consultations.
He recalled that in 2020, the trial on the 5th generation network was started which resulted to complaints from some Nigerians who linked it to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Because our government is a responsible one, we decided, then, to put everything on hold and engaged more stakeholders and we spent almost 18 months working on that.
“We also waited for the resolution or verdict of the two most important organisations globally when it comes to the deployment of telecommunications facilities.
“These are the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) which are both arms of the United Nations.
“Both of them confirmed that there is no adverse health hazard associated with 5G and it has not been proven to be harmful to human health.
“Most importantly, its frequency and radiation is even lower than that of 4G and electronic gadgets like the television sets and microwaves we use at home.
“So, they have already issued that explanation about its safety,” the minister said.
He said the organisations also advised nations on the standards and regulations to use in the course of its redeployment.
Pantami said that the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had been directed to comply with all the regulations and standards specified by the ITU and WHO.
He added that in order to create awareness and sensitise Nigerians, the Nigerian Communications Commission had been reaching out to citizens through local languages to sensitise them on the advantages of 5G network.
The minister said the network would be deployed in phases, between now and 2025, starting with major cities in the country where there was need for high quality broadband. (https://newsatlarge.ng)